How I Clean My Makeup Brushes
I clean my makeup brushes once a week. Why do you have to clean your makeup brushes you ask? Well product build up leads to bacteria and bacteria leads to break outs. Even if you have not used your brushes, but they are sitting out uncovered they are still picking up dust particles. I spot clean brushes throughout the week (using my MAC cosmetics brush cleaner and a paper towel). I tend to do this with my foundation brushes, and frequently used eye shadow brushes. I leave the deep cleaning to once a week. Here's what you will need:
1: paper plate or regular plate 2: baby shampoo,mild shampoo, or dish detergent 3: olive oil 4: towel to place brushes on
1. Wet the brush with the bristles and handle facing downwards (this makes sure that you don't loosen the glue in the handle).
2. Still with the bristles pointing down dab your brush in the olive oil and shampoo mix.
3. Over the sink, swirl the brush in the palm of your hand. Rinse hand and repeat swirling until foam turns white.
4. Rinse brush under water, pointed downward, until all soap is out and water runs clear.
5. Reshape and place on towel.
6. Let dry for 8+ hours.
I do this process to all my brushes. It's simple, easy and also the olive oil keeps your brushes nice and soft. If you wash your makeup brushes differently let me know in the comments. I'd love to know.